Sexual Addiction: Definition, Danger and Deliverance (7 steps)
What is it?
Do you have it?
Why is it so dangerous and destructive?
How can one ever get total freedom from this bondage?
What is it?
A very serious problem plaguing all facets of society these days is Sexual Addiction.
Sexual Addiction is a compulsive behavior that makes one lust after sexual gratification in one form or other.
It may involve actual physical intercourse with another, stimulating oneself physically, unclean conversation, writing, drawing or imagining immoral things, reading lewd stories or watching others engage in adultery, fornication or perverted forms of sex. Only the first category mentioned above (physical intercourse) is lawful and right in the context of marriage and that too when motivated by genuine, self-sacrificial love and not lust. These days, in addition to television, cable, video games, magazines, the devil has used the internet as one of the most secretive and potent tools of destruction especially of those bound to this sin. He uses it draw many other, unassuming members of society as well into the bait.
Do you have it?
If you fall into any of these above categories, you are an addict to something that will ruin you from the inside out and something which will make you an enemy of God headed for great punishment in this life and in the next in Hell! It does not matter if you think you are basically, a good and responsible person or a, popular person or even a Christian. If you engage in sin, you will be destroyed sooner or later .For the wages of sin is death. (Romans 6:23a)
Why is it so dangerous and destructive?
Sexual Addiction is destructive because it is self-deception at its worst. One thinks that one can get some meaningful pleasure and then get over the repercussions of the act or thought but alas, it is never the case. The consequences are sure to follow. As sure as one who walks on burning coals will get his feet burned. (Proverbs 6:28) It will rob one of the right perspective of life and inner strife will result.
That’s right. People who are toying with sexual immorality lose their peace and are ever restless. Trying to cover up the sin will be ever haunting the one who engages in it. It is shameful. No matter what one has been blessed with in this life, an adulterous heart will undo all of it sometimes in a minute! Sometimes it will take a few years. Some get sudden diseases and die miserably. Some live and die miserably after losing their spouses, children, jobs, friends etc. Inevitably, you also end up hurting others and perhaps destroying them as well! That’s how sinister and deceptive this sin of toying with immorality is. It is miserable. All those who followed this life of lusting to the max and never turned completely away from their sin are in Hell. There is no exception. If they are still alive in the world, awaiting judgment, they cannot be but truly lonely, nervous, cowardly and miserable people trying to pretend all is well in their lives. The false image on the exterior betrays the truth of their, “running” from God and True Life on the inside.
Always remember: Lust never satisfies but true sacrificial love does. Having different sexual partners will destroy and not satisfy. However, having a God-given spouse in a faithful relationship will give true lasting contentment and happiness. God said, be sure that your sin will find you out in the Book of Joshua. (Joshua 32:23c) And so it will for the fool who does things contrary to Gods commands.
Now, there are those who sincerely want to repent but they think that they are just, “in too deep” to ever break free from this monster of an addiction! The marvelous truth and good news is that there is hope yet. No, there is more. There is total freedom and a life of joy and victory yet available for you in Christ!
For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.(Hebrews 4:15)
Whether you are a professing atheist in bondage to sexual sin or a professing Christian who is bound by it, the bottom line is that you are in the same boat and need to repent in order to receive His Grace by faith to get absolute deliverance from this sin.
All addictions start slowly or better put, gradually. No one goes into hardcore immorality or drugs immediately. The devil baits them, they decide to give in and it’s just a matter of time before they are hooked. They become a monster. Their lives get out of control. Is this you? If you involved in any of the above categories mentioned at the beginning of the article, then you would be lying if you said that you are not out of control. Yet, don’t despair. For, a return back to basic honesty is just what you need at this point on the road to recovery and freedom.
The Way to Absolute Deliverance from Sexual Immorality
You need to understand that all of the evil, sexual thoughts you have entertained in the past and are still delighting in, are in actuality, the very fuel which gives power to this monster. The thoughts themselves are fueled by the following: sensual talk, frequenting places of temptation, songs, letting your imagination go wild, movies, pictures, dances etc.
- 1. Ask God for forgiveness, in detail confessing your sins to him of all that you remember doing immorally.
- 2. Tell God you want absolute freedom from this ugly, self-destructive sin at any cost, so that you can live in a way that’s honoring to Him and also enjoy His gift of life.
- 3. Determine to destroy all things that threaten holiness and True Love in your life. Keep your eyes and your imagination only focused on Jesus, Holiness and if you are married, on your spouse. If you are not married or engaged, then it helps also to keep reflecting on the pure choice God has in store for those who trust in Him and wait on Christ.(Job 31:1) Divorce yourself from lust, flirting, looking at sexually provocative things, being with such people, working in such environments etc.
- 4. Attend a church where Gods holy standards are truly emphasized all the time and fellowship with others who are pursuing holiness.
- 5. Begin to read the Bible and memorize key verses on sexual sin and repentance from such etc. It’s the Word of God that will set you free. So begin to breathe it and drink it and eat it by reading, memorizing and meditating on it.
- 6. Pray daily beginning from the morning that God would make you a new man or woman after His own Heart.(2 Cor 5:17) Believe God will make you a pure person from the inside out, cleansing you with His precious Blood which alone can cleanse and make you new.
- 7. Begin a program of fasting. The spiritual value of the weapon of fasting (when accompanied by intense, faith-filled prayer) cannot be stressed enough. You can begin by skipping a meal or two up to fasting for a day or two (or more as necessary) during the week. This will keep you humble and rob you of the extra energy to do evil. The spiritual significance in true Christian fasting is that the Lord will look on one’s sincerity, faith and diligence in seeking Him with all the heart and supply the supernatural strength necessary to overcome the sin.
Follow these 7 steps to Perfect Victory!
While you do, be sure to read and hold onto this following guarantee from Gods Word:
Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word.
With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments.
Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
Dear friend struggling with sexual sin, you are made to be victorious by God. Do not give up. The Devil and lust have no authority over you unless you yourself give into it. So, follow the above 7 winning, Bible-based steps and you are guaranteed to overcome and enjoy life the way you were meant to by an All-Wise, Loving Creator God.
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
– by Pradeep Emmanuel Stephen 2004 comprehensivechristian.com
[Permission is granted to duplicate this article in its entirety, but only without additions, alterations or omissions of any kind, including the author and ministry name at the end.]